1st Sailors Bay Sea Scouts is local to Castlecrag and but has its origins in 1st Chatswood. While Scouts originated in England, its world wide growth was almost spontaneous from Lord Baden Powell’s bestseller “Scouting for Boys” in 1908.
Formed in 1914, 1st Chatswood Scouts was a very active group that was the state champion for at least 4 years and won the national competitive shield at the Melbourne corroboree in January 1923. The troop was known as “Lord Forster’s Own”, and on 3rd May 1924 the Governor General Lord Forster officially opened the new hall at 56-58 Laurel St, Willoughby built on land donated by Joseph Griffiths of ‘Laurelbank’ in 1922.
In 1932 the group split into Land and Sea Scouts, and the latter rented one of the boatsheds on the southern arm of Sugarloaf Bay from 1935. During the war they moved south of the peninsula to Sailors Bay, renting from Ron Eddies, who had taken over Bob Carr’s boatshed (now Castlecrag Marina). Rowing expeditions were made throughout Middle Harbour in the 18’ skiffs “Alice S” (donatd by Alice Shipway’s family), “JohnO” and later the whaler “Resolution” (sold in 1958 for £70). Sails were hoisted when wind allowed.